Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply to the program?

Before applying, you must first complete (or be close to completion of) an undergraduate degree in a technically-related field, take the GRE, and (for international students) take the TOEFL or IELTS. To apply, go to the Graduate School's website at http://www.usu.edu/graduateschool/apply/. Make sure you have fulfilled all the requirements listed on that page.

What are the admission requirements for the University?

The ranking of students is based on the GRE, GPA, and other overall qualifications. The Graduate School requires a GPA of 3.0 and a internet-based TOEFL score of 79-80 for international students. International candidates who take the IELTS exam in lieu of TOEFL need to have a minimum of 6.0 as an overall score.  The Graduate School's minimum criteria for the verbal and quantitative areas of the GRE percentile score are 40%; however, the ECE Department requires a minimum of 75% in the quantitative section.

Do I have to take the GRE to apply? What if I've taken it more than once?

Yes. All applicants must have completed a bachelor's degree, taken the GRE, and (for international students) taken the TOEFL or IELTS. You may begin the application process without your scores, but your application will remain incomplete until the official scores are received. Only those students whose application is complete may be considered for acceptance. The most recent GRE test scores are used whether they are higher or lower than previous scores. GRE scores expire after 5 years and TOEFL or IELTS scores after 2 years.

What are the deadlines for submitting my application?

The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering's admission deadlines are:

  • July 1st for Spring semester which begins in January, and
  • January 1st for Fall semester which begins at the end of August.

Please note that these deadlines are earlier than those of the School of Graduate Studies. For more information about applying please see https://ece.usu.edu/htm/ece-admissions and http://www.usu.edu/graduateschool/apply/ .

Only complete applications (GRE, TOEFL/IELTS, transcripts, letters of recommendation, etc.) that meet the January 1st deadline for fall semester will be considered for financial assistance.

What application materials can you send me?

None. The Graduate School no longer accepts paper applications at all. Please go to http://www.usu.edu/graduateschool/apply/ for instructions on how to complete the online application. Please note that there is a $55 application fee for both international and domestic students.

If I send you my test scores, can you tell me if I should apply?

No. We cannot assess qualifications prior to completing the application process. Our acceptances are based on the quality of the pool of applicants and the number of openings available. You will still need to submit an application to the Graduate School to be review by the ECE Department.

How do I apply for financial aid? Is there a separate form?

All applicants for fall semester (deadline of January 1st)are considered for financial aid. No additional form is necessary. When all of your documents are received and the application packet is complete, your application is then forwarded to the department where the ECE Graduate Committee reviews the applications for acceptance and financial awards. See the financial aid page for more details.

Only complete applications (GRE, TOEFL, transcripts, letter of recommendation, etc.) that meet the January 1st deadline for fall semester will be considered for financial assistance.

Can I be accepted as a PhD student without a Masters degree?

Yes. BS to PhD degrees require a minimum of 72 credits to complete.  MS to PhD degrees require a minimum of 42 credits to complete.  Acceptance into the BS to PhD program must be recommended by an ECE faculty member.

What are all the required documents for applying?

When you apply make sure you submit the following documents:

  • GRE Scores - officially from ETS
  • TOEFL or IELTS Scores - officially from ETS or British Council (International students only)
  • Official transcripts from any and all universities and colleges that you have attended
  • Letters of recommendation sent electronically to the Graduate School at Utah State University
  • Indication on application of focus or interest area in Electrical or Computer Engineering

Please send all these documents to the School of Graduate Studies at the following address:

School of Graduate Studies
0900 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 84322-0900

What is the university code for USU? What is the ECE Department's code?

Utah State University's ETS code is 4857. There is no department code because all scores for all graduate applicants for the university are sent to the School of graduate Studies.

How much does it cost to attend?

Tuition costs depends on residency status and the number of credit hours you are taking. The registrar's office has a Tuition and fees chart for each school year that you can view by going here: http://www.usu.edu/registrar/htm/tuition/ and clicking on your applicable year's Tuition & Fee table of the page.

What graduate degrees are offered through the department?

The following graduate degrees are available from the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department. Click on any of the following links to view the requirements for the degree.

What focus areas are available?

The following focus areas are currently available:

  • Computer Systems
  • Control Systems
  • EM / Microwaves
  • Electrical Power/Energy
  • Signals / Communications
  • Space Systems

For more information or for specific inquiries, please email marylee.anderson@usu.edu

To view details on the courses for each focus area, view the Flow of Courses document.

How long will my degree take?

Masters degrees usually take about 2-3 years with a maximum time limit of 6 years. Doctor of Philosophy degrees usually take about 4-6 years with an 8-year limit. The length of individual degrees depend on the research area selected and the number of classes taken per semester.

All other questions...

For answers to all other questions, Please e-mail marylee.anderson@usu.edu

Have a question you do not see here that you think is common?

    If you have a question you think should be answered along with other frequently asked questions about the graduate program, go ahead and send it to the marylee.anderson@usu.edu. Thanks!